Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.


St George's Church, circa 1930.

St George's Church, circa 1930.


St George's Church in Latrobe Terrace was constructed in 1860, opened in 1861 and has a significant association with the Geelong College.

For a time it was known as the West End Church. The transept and narthex were added to the original structure in 1908 and spire in 1936 with funds donated by James McPhillimy and his sister Louise. The first minister of St George’s was Dr A J Campbell, the founder of the Geelong College whose close association with George Morrison was instrumental in the College’s early survival. ‘George Morrison was, up to the time of his death an esteemed manager of the Church, and the boarders from the College regularly occupied on Sundays the seats in front of the pulpit. The late C Norman Morrison was also a member of the Church Boards, and deeply interested in the welfare of the congregation’. In 1911 the Principal, W R Bayly was also a member of the Board of Management. Within the Church is a Memorial Window ‘Erected by the Congregation and Friends to the Memory of C N Morrison, MA and Rev A J Campbell’. There is also a Memorial Window erected by College Chairman, Charles Shannon to his wife Emily and son Charles Hector Shannon.

Sources: Jubilee Souvenir of St George’s Presbyterian Church. Geelong (St George’s Church), 1911.
© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.