Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.


Poster listing Student Staff of the 'Bossy Buffet' Tuck Shop, 1942.

Poster listing Student Staff of the 'Bossy Buffet' Tuck Shop, 1942.


Pegasus in August 1922, when describing football training routes around the College noted that that: 'Aberdeen St 'Square' was popular with some, as the way home led past Loh's tuck shop in Skene St.'

In about 1920, Ed Sver (or Syer) opened a small shop in Prospect Rd. This served as the School Tuck Shop for several years until he opened another shop in Prospect Rd opposite the Chapel.

Eventually the College commenced its own facilities. The School Council in February 1926 accepted a tender of £348 pounds from M J Denno on plans submitted by F C Purnell to build a new School Tuck Shop and 2 bicycle sheds adjoining the cricket pavilion. In 1926, the School opened its own Tuck Shop.

Students took over the running of the Tuck Shop in the third term of 1942 after the former proprietor, Mr Tucker became a groundsman. Pegasus breathlessly reported that ‘After extensive alterations, such as new glasses and fly catchers the 'Bossy Buffet' opened its doors.’ This shop was eventually re-located into the Rolland Centre.

With the construction of the Preparatory School on a separate site a second Tuck Shop was opened.

Sources: Pegasus August 1922 p38; Austin Gray-Buildings-Pegasus June 1952 p 37.
© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.