Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.



These wrought iron gates located at the Noble St entrance to the Mackie Boarding House were donated to the School by Principal Rev Francis Rolland and his brothers In memory of their nephew, John Henry Maitland Rolland who drowned on 23 January, 1938 while saving the life of a stranger at Ocean Grove. There is an accompanying plaque on the brickwork near these gates.

John Henry Maitland Rolland was the son of architect, Henry Maitland Rolland, brother of College Principal, Francis Rolland. John had studied as an architect and had, during his studies, worked in the offices of Philip Hudson who had carried out much of the College’s building design work during the 1930s. Philip Hudson provided the architectural work for this memorial.
© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.