Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.



Once, colloquially known as the Chinaman’s Market Garden, ‘Paddy’ Rook’s Paddock was purchased in 1900.

It formed the western end of the Main Oval which was established as a consequence of the purchase in 1904. According to Austin Gray its purchase removed ‘a source of much joy and consolation to the boys, particularly during tomato season’ .

Sources: Austin Gray-Buildings-Pegasus June 1952 p37.
© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.