Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.



Interpretative Sign: Memorial Wing, 2015.

Interpretative Sign: Memorial Wing, 2015.

Opened on Speech Day 14 December 1951, the West Wing at the Senior School campus was named the Memorial Wing to commemorate those former students and staff of The Geelong College who served in World Wars I and II. The honour tablets listing them are housed in its enclosed archway. A tablet honouring those who served in Vietnam was later added.

The Foundation Stone was laid on 9 March 1950 by the Governor of Victoria, His Excellency, Sir Dallas Brookes (1896-1966), who also opened the building the following year on Speech day, 14 December 1951. Planned to complete the Rolland vision of a west wing for the Cloister in the late 1930s, construction of the Memorial Wing was delayed by World War II. It was built by the firm J C Taylor to include an imposing tower and classrooms.

At the Foundation ceremony, the Principal, Mr Rolland said: 'There are many here who are thinking at this moment not so much of the memorial as those it commemorates. We cannot forget the hour when civilization, threatened with a new barbarism, called desperately for help.'

A timber table in the entrance foyer is the work and gift of former woodwork teacher Rob Wells in 1996. A pottery urn depicting a Pegasus and made by former Head of Fine Arts, Terry Egan is also on display here. The Memorial Wing Foyer is the focus of the school's Anzac Day service each year.

Sources: Ad Astra July 1996 p16.
© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.