Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.



Singing Class, circa 1938.

Singing Class in the House of Music, circa 1938.

House of Music, circa 1989.

House of Music, circa 1989.

At the Council meeting of 4 June 1936, the Principal, Francis Rolland reported an anonymous offer of half the building cost in order to develop a music facility at the School. He presented plans with an estimated cost of about £1,600 to £1,700 to complete. The building was designed by Philip Hudson in Tudor Collegiate style. Francis Rolland laid the Foundation Stone on 24 October 1936.

The House of Music, in its purpose built facility on the north-east corner of the Senior School, was opened on 25 August 1937 by Dr Cyril Norwood, former Headmaster of Harrow School, England.

After the opening of the Austin Gray Centre in 1980 and the re-location of music and drama into that complex of buildings, the House of Music became under-utilised. Eventually, the building was renovated and extended with a nave to form the School’s new Chapel in 1989.

With the building of the Keith Humble Centre for Music and the Performing Arts the teaching of music acquired a new home with the most modern facilities and equipment.

© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.