Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.



The extensions and renovations of 1917 included an extension westwards of the northern wing containing the main entrance. This extension was built very close to the line of the then existing timber building containing the gymnasium, physics laboratory and Sloyd room sited in what is now the cloisters. As a result, the external walls of the two buildings were about 30cm apart for a distance of about 6-7 metres. 'This narrow space was naturally not intended as a thoroughfare and initially it was blocked off at each end. It was opened up, however, by the boys, and became known as ‘Gun Alley’. It was so narrow that those using it had to proceed sideways, and passing was impossible.'

It is likely that the passage was named after the notorious 'Gun Alley' murder of twelve year old Alma Tirtschke in Melbourne on 30 December, 1921 which stunned the city. Alma’s body was found in a small laneway off Gun Alley, originally located off Collins St and near Exhibition St. Colin Campbell Ross, who was convicted and hanged for Alma’s murder in 1922, was pardoned after a judicial review in 2008.

Pegasus June 1952 p39.
© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.