Heritage Guide to The Geelong College

Search the Guide

To find information in this Guide please select one of the green coloured options.

To Select a Page Group when displayed, right click and select 'Open'.

Copyright Conditions Apply.



Now known as the Matthew Flinders Girls’ Secondary College, the Flinders National School was opened on 28 January 1858 as Geelong’s first ‘public school established on the national system’. It was often known in the 1860s as the Geelong National Grammar School. G Wilson Browne was appointed as the first headmaster, but not long after, in early 1859, he was appointed organising master under the National School Board. His successor, George Morrison, was appointed on 31 July 1859.

Initially, the Flinders National School had struggled, but under George Morrison the outlook began improving, although substantial changes were made in staffing together with fee reduction. George Morrison left in 1861, and thereafter, followed a period of unrest and uncertainty for the School. In 1864, the School was converted into a Common School (State School No 260) for boys, girls and infants and under its new Head, E R Lennon, found stability.

Sources: Brownbill, The History of Geelong and Corio Bay. pp 181-184.
© The Geelong College. Unless otherwise attributed, The Geelong College asserts its creative and commercial rights over all images and text used in this publication. No images or text material may be copied, reproduced or published without the written authorisation of The College.